5 Oct 2004

Killa Raimi, the Moon Festival (Cusco, Peru)















One of my favorite moments from Latin America, almost a magical performance. I saw the ad in a low-key poster in some wall in Cusco, and went to check it out, on the outskirts of town. It turned out to be a great show, a reanactment of the Moon Festival of the Inca, by youngsters from basic and high-school. It lasted for more than two hours, with all kinds of dresses, rituals, dances, performances (even flame throwing) and speeches in Quechua. The kids are not professional, but I could see they prepared a lot for the show. The fact that they are "into" it, makes the whole difference, for me at least. Not a tourist event - there were less than 10 foreigners in the whole crowd. People were looking at me quite a lot, and for some time I was even afraid to take pictures.

No comments: