26 Nov 2004

Altiplano 2: Sucre, Potosi (The Andes, Bolivia)

Sucre is a city with a very evident colonial heritage.. In many ways like Arequipa, the "white city" of Peru.. One thing that really caught my attention were those things on the electrical wires, which I assume are round nests of some crazy bird :-)




Still, the contrasts between the Ancient and the "New" are evident in many ways... as for example this countryside woman (I think she would be Andean native, but could be of Amerindian ancestry) sitting by an old skool ice cream cart, and in the colonial esplanade overlooking the city.





Speaking of natives, in Potosi I visited a colonial processing plant, in the early days they 'used' natives but eventually changed to horses as the natives got tired too quickly, that's all I learned from the tour.. What humanity




On a lighter note, the view from a central square in Potosi, one of the highest cities in the world..

Reaching for the Sky, no less...

No comments: